Monday, September 29, 2008

20 Minutes of Nothing...



It sounded so easy at first. I was about to put in Dirty Dancing to watch for about the 500th time in my life, when I thought about this prompt and decided to do that first. I glanced at the small clock on my phone, and sat down on my couch. I started to pet my little puppies as they climbed up into my lap. I decided that I should probably walk them first, so that they wouldn't bug me for attention while I was doing nothing, so I did just that.

I came back inside and started my time over, looking at my phone to see the time so I could keep track. I sat in the same place on the couch and looked out the window at the two little kids playing with their ball, and I laughed as the little sister threw it happening to hit her big brother on the side of his head accidentally. He started to pout, and didn't want to play anymore, and this made her start to cry uncontrollably. I smiled, at the situation, and realized that I really wasn't doing nothing, I was being amused by the outside world. I closed the blinds and started my time over again.

I fought the urge to pick up the nail file sitting on the table as I sat there on my couch. The sunlight was shining through the cracks in the blinds. I started to day dream about my vacation a few weeks ago to Florida with my boyfriend and how wonderful of a trip it was. The sun made me want to go back to the warm beaches we spent most of our trip, or go to another Gators football game like we had. That trip is one of my favorite memories, and it was wonderful to give my self time to think about it. My mind wandered from topic to topic, from idea to idea for the remaining minutes, and before long I had sat there for right around 1 hour doing nothing. I was shocked how fast the minutes flew by!

I don't think it is possible to actually DO NOTHING, but the attempt was actually a nice change of pace, because I wasn't forcing anything. I didn't have an agenda. Instead I was able to let my mind wander as it may and it was nice to relax and day dream a bit.......

No comments: