Monday, October 20, 2008

Everyday Speech

I wanted to re-read a section from The Everyday book we have been going over in class. I wanted to look deeper into the Everyday Speech by Maurice Blanchot. The title itself was what intrigued me in the first place. The Everyday: What is Most Difficult to Discover.



Without seeing a question mark, I already assumed it was talking about what is the most difficult part of the everyday. It doesn't ask this as a question. It is simply stated. The conclusion starts with "Is not the everyday, then, a utopia, the myth if an existence bereft of myth? We no more have access to the everyday than do we touch this moment of history that could, historically, represent the end of history."



Take a moment to let that stew in your brain....


I had to take.. well... 2 weeks and I am now coming back to it!


Reading this again, automatically I say we DO have access to each of our everyday's! I have much control over my day to day life. I can "touch" today, and make a mark on each day, depending on what i do and by doing what I WANT to do. I have very much access to each of my days, and I have a say in what happens in each of them. A lot of the times, my everyday is not a "utopia" in any sense of the word either.... I do not agree at all with the above quote.


I sat some more, and I realized that I am looking at the idea of "the everyday" in a very basic way. For example I am only looking at the surface level things that I actually have control over. I have no say in that today will go by hour by hour, minute by minute and second by second. That is a fact! I have no say over that. Nor do I have a say in whether or not today is a significant day to anyone else. Today will be only that. Today. Today could be the first day. Today could be the last day. I can't "touch" or mess with that. Today will go by, and it will be looked back upon as a piece of history. It will be part in making up MY history, and EVERYONES history! That is huge!

I'm learning so far in this class to let my mind wander a bit, and not look at things in the most common way, but try to understand ideas and thoughts in a somewhat deeper and heavier way. That is a quality in people that I have always admired, and I too can be like that is some respect!

The End! (or beginning...)






No comments: